APNS is a voluntary member-based association with the purpose of promoting psychology and providing support to those in it’s field. As the voice for Psychologists within Nova Scotia, APNS represents you and your interests when it comes to the government, other professional associations, and with the public.
New Members/Membership Renewal
In order to become a new member or renew your membership with APNS you must download and fill out the form below.
Our membership year runs from September 1 to August 31 however is open to new members year-round. All new members must match the criteria of one of the membership types.
If you have any questions about becoming a member or renewing your membership please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we try to respond to all inquiries in a timely manner, however email may go into the Junk folder. If you have emailed us and have not heard back within a few days, please call 902-422-9183, Monday to Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
Private Practice Directory
If you wish to be listed in the APNS Private Practice Directory or on the Find A Psychologist web search you must pay a separate fee and download and complete the form below.
Becoming a member of APNS gives psychologists the opportunity to foster a sense of community among individuals who identify themselves with psychology as well as participate in building psychological collegiality through networking opportunities.
Being a part of the association also ensures you are involved as APNS continues to promote your interest and professional identity. Members also receive benefits such as:
- Borrowing privileges of study materials for the Examinations for Professional Practice in Psychology
- Subscription to the Nova Scotia Psychologist
- Subscription to Member Update a monthly e-mail communication with events, activities and opportunities
- Substantial fee reduction for enlisting in APNS Private Practice Directory
- Reduction in fees for APNS workshops
- Substantial reduction in cost for liability insurance with BMS (through partnership with the Canadian Psychological Association and the Council for Professional Associations of Psychology. More information about BMS Canada Risk Services Ltd. (BMS)
- Reduction in selected external services:
- TD Merchant Solutions provides a preferred pricing program for APNS members. APNS has been a client of TD Bank and TD Merchant Solutions for many years, and we expect that this agreement will offer significant savings on credit and debit card processing fees to those members in private practice. For more information, please see the advertisement here.
- GET 20% Off Psychologists’ Association of Alberta (PAA) Online Courses. APNS has entered into an agreement with the PAA that allows APNS members to have access to PAA Learning Products at a discounted rate! Courses include:
- Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy
- Effective Advocacy
- What’s New in The DSM-5-TR?
For PAA in person workshops and live webinars visit: https://psychologistsassociation.ab.ca/events/category/workshop/
Find PAA’s asynchronous trainings by visiting PAA’s Course Portal https://www.mypaacourses.ca
Use the coupon code* ASPN20 when checking out to claim your discount.
*Coupon code discounts can only be applied before purchase, no partial refunds are available, PAA refund and cancellation policies apply, PAA member rates apply to PAA members.
- Chance to publish in The Nova Scotia Psychologist
- Volunteering, leadership and mentoring opportunities through the Executive Committee and various sub-committees and groups
- Liaison with psychologists with similar interests, for example, the Early Career Psychologists Committee and the Child and Adolescent Psychology Interest Group
We also have additional services we offer our members which you can learn more about on our Member Services page.
In order to be eligible for a full membership within APNS you must be on the Register of Psychologists or a Candidate Register of Psychologists of the Nova Scotia Board of Examiners in Psychology.
This membership is eligible for those who match the criteria of a full membership however have retired or have taken a leave of absence from the profession of psychology.
Student members must be enrolled full-time in an academic institution and employed less than 50% of the year. This does not include internships & practicas.
In Absentia Member
For those who are residing outside of Nova Scotia for at least one year and would like to maintain membership and still receive the Nova Scotia Psychologist and other APNS mailings. These members do however forgo voting and office holding rights.
APNS also may identify individual psychologists to be named as honorary members. For more information on this membership please reach out to us.